Brain Spine Hosptials

044 - 49 15 11 11

Frequently Asked Questions

Following are frequently asked questions and answers on our practice and various neurosurgery topics. Please call us at 044 - 4915 1111 if you need additional information

When should I see a doctor for pain?

Consult a physician immediately if you

  • Are experiencing back pain as a result of a physical trauma involving your spine, such as a fall or car accident
  • Are experiencing numbness in, or having difficulty moving, your extremities
  • Experience bladder control loss or impairment
  • Develop a fever or severe headache
  • Are over 60 and have been taking steroids for a long period of time
  • Experience chest pain or pain in the left arm
  • Are pregnant
  • In instances of acute back pain, do not experience any improvement after 72 hours of self-treatment at home
  • Have experienced chronic back pain for more than 6 weeks

What is the difference between acute and chronic pain?

Acute pain is commonly described as sharp and severe; it tends to come on suddenly but also improve with time and short-term conservative treatment, such as medication, exercise, physical therapy or rest. Chronic pain is commonly described as a deep, aching, dull or burning pain, and may be accompanied by numbness, tingling and/or weakness that extends into the extremities. Chronic pain tends to last a long time and is not relieved by conservative care.

© 2013 Brain Spine Hopsitals